problems w/drives and fc6 (still)

John john at johnsdesign.net
Sun Mar 18 22:07:51 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 21:43 -0500, John wrote:
>
>>   I've been messing around, trying to get the floppy and cd burner to
>> work/appear, with little success. I've noticed in the dev folder, the
>> icons for the floppy and burner have that green backwards arrow. What's
>> up with that crap?
>>

> Dunno what you're using to view that folder, but if you use the command
> line, you can see something like this:
>
> $ ll /dev/cd*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
>
> It indicates that the cdrom device is a link to the hdc device.
>
> Whilst some things can make use of your CD-ROM just as long as they can
> find it, somewhere.  Other things will only treat it like one if the
> device name fits a certain pattern (e.g. has cdrom or dvdrom in it).

  I go Computer (desktop icon) / Filesystem / dev (folder) and the cd
drive items (icons?) are there- not in a folder or anything. There's
similar icons for the floppy drive, but they're in a folder (in dev)
named fd0. I got thinking last night- would something like this work: if
I pulled the power cables for the two drives and booted the box, so FC
could register them not being there... I could shut down the box, plug
the drives back in and boot the box up again. I was thinking FC -should-
see the two drives as new hardware?
  Its strange- I run hwbrowser, which sees the two drives, but hwbroswer
says there's no drivers- unlike the other hardware. When I click/start
the cd player in Apps/Sound and Video, it says that's its unable to run
correctly. Clciking on details show that cd player is /dev/scd0... I try
to 'set the device' and that option is greyed out. Last night I thought
SELinux had something to do with it, but I couldn't find anything that
would disable the drives.

                       John