Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Tue Mar 20 11:32:28 UTC 2007

Res <res at ausics.net> writes:

> Really? Thats why Ubuntu will let me do *anything* I want, and that
> means even play mp3's anytime I damned well want without going to
> third party repos, I think I know which distro has respect for my
> freedom, my freedom to do what I want, play what I want, when I want,

The reason why Fedora does not ship codecs for popular media formats such
as mp3 and mpeg is not ideological, but legal. Those formats are patented
in the United States, and shipping them anyway would expose Fedora and
Fedora's parent company Red Hat to greatly increased legal risks. Microsoft
just felt that risk, beging forced to hand over 1.2 billion dollars after a
court judgement. Also remember that knowingly infringing carries triple
damages.

Do you actually expect Red Hat to knowingly carry out a gross violation of
US law just to satisfy some whining users?

Regards
Ingemar