Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 20 14:29:40 UTC 2007

Ingemar Nilsson wrote:

>> The OP appears to being doing that by way of his subject.
>
> Especially since he compares a stable release of Ubuntu and Knoppix with a
> test release of Fedora 7.

As the OP, may I say again that I am not a Ubuntu mole.
But if someone advertises a boot disk,
whether it is a test release or not,
it should boot.

I like Fedora (although the difference between Linux distributions
is exaggerated to a ludicrous degree, IMHO -
I'd love to test fanatics by getting them to say which is running
on a particular laptop),
but in my experience there is something wrong
with Anaconda's basic approach to CD readers.

Personally, I am willing to put up with problems installing a distribution
if I really want to install it,
and I have put up with enormous problems in the past to install Fedora -
the worst being, as I mentioned, on Sony PictureBooks.

I wish Fedora would undertake some modest investigation
to see what problems people have with installation.
I have suggested this, but been told that it would be a mammoth task,
which I find difficult to believe.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366