Bug in hal-cups with FC6

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 20 17:57:54 UTC 2007

KH wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson schrieb:
>> KH wrote:
>>
>>> I installed FC6 and it works fine so far (whta I expected) with one
>>> exception.
>>> Cups and the hal-tool is unable to handle usb-devices proberly.
>>> I have Brother MFC-215C with works very well under FC4 but not under
>>> FC6.
>>> If I open the "Computer"-Icon on the Desktop then an usb device called
>>> "Brother MFC-215C" appears.
>>>
>>> Has anybody else ran into this problem and is there hint to fix it?
>>>
>>> Klaus
>>>

>> Is the icon for the printer function, or the scanner function? With
>> the MFC designation, I would expect it to be a multi-function
>> device. You will probably have to set the printer function up by
>> connecting to http://localhost:631 and adding it. After that, it
>> should work every time you plug it in.
>>
>> If CUPS does not list your printer, you can probably get drivers for
>> it at the Brother's web site. The have a section with the Linux
>> drivers for most of their products. They also have scanner drivers
>> and even a driver for the FAX function. (I use a network connected
>> MFC-7820N.)
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> The icon is the one usb mass storage devices.
> It is a multifunction device. I downloaded and installed the ppd (in
> this case the MFC210) proberly. I tried it via localhost:631 - no success.
> The system (which ever) does not allow device URIs like "/dev/usb/lp0" -
> (which I use under FC4 and also OpenrSuSE - and which work fine) - it
> generates entrees like "Brother_MFC-215C_USB_1" or
> "hal://org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4f9_193_BROD6F615210_if0_printer_noserial".
>

> Klaus

I had luck with using system-config-printers and using the gimp drivers
instead of what HAL chose to use. The HAL drivers did not work for my HP
PSC-1200-all-in-one.

This is the case for me with both development and FC6. Before FC6, I
believe this was successfully configured without user intervention.

Jim

--
High nuclear activity in your area.