"Nothing to be done for bzImage..."

Jeff Mutonho ejbengine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:18:13 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Jeff Mutonho wrote:

> > > But there used to be.  Sounds like someone either has old instructions or
> > > has not upgraded their memories on kernel building.
>
> once again, the "bzImage" target is not a generic kernel-building
> target, it is i386-specific, which is why it can be found in
> arch/i386/boot/Makefile and not in the top-level Makefile.
>
> it most definitely *does* exist.  simply typing "make bzImage" should
> have established that.  "make help" would have demonstrated it as
> well.
>
> rday
> --

Ok I read the README file and  i've done the 'make' , 'make
modules_install install' .A new kernel image was created as seen from
the last part of the log:
if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
System.map  2.6.18-build-1; fi
mkdir -p /boot
ln -f -s vmlinuz-2.6.18-build-1 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18
rm -f /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-build-1
install -m0644 vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-build-1
install -m0644 vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-syms-2.6.18-build-1
install -m0664 .config /boot/config-2.6.18-build-1
install -m0664 System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.18-build-1
ln -f -s vmlinuz-2.6.18-build-1 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6

What extra step(s) do I need to do ?My grub.conf file still looks the
same as before (i.e does not show an entry for the new kernel).Isn't
it suppose to be updated automatically?
However , vmlinuz-2.6.18-build-1 was copied to my /boot directory.

--

"Don't take the name of root in vain."

Jeff  Mutonho
Cape Town