How to play an audio CD?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 23 10:49:09 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 21:40 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I had sound, I just could not get the CD to do anything with xmms.  I
>> expected it would "just work."
>>

> You probably have to play with the options, a lot, to use XMMS.  You'll
> need to fake a mount point in its configuration, so you can choose the
> CD to play in the file lister.  You *might* need to use the audio lead
> between player and sound card (you can choose to do so, or use digital
> audio, but that requires a CD drive that supports it, and not all do).

Ok, thanks for the info but I have already determined that the new cd
drive I installed in the grandson's computer failed!  It will not work
with the original Windows 2000 [required for games] or FC6, a spare
drive I have does work.  However something is corrupted in W2k or the
main board has suffered a failure and Windows no longer sees the CD
drive although Linux does?

I don't deal well with Windows troubleshooting and reinstalling with the
parental control, firewall, wireless lan, etc. is not a welcome
prospect!  Why me?  Everything was working when I finished the effort a
couple of days ago.

Bob Goodwin