sendmail : mail not delivered

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 02:26:36 UTC 2007

Felipe Nunez wrote:

>> If you're not a SPAMMER you're sure trying to look like one and you're
>> having trouble sending mail to more than just Hotmail. You just do not
>> know it yet...
>>
>>> relay=mx2.hotmail.com. [65.54.244.168], dsn=5.0.0,
>> DSN 5.0.0 means permanent failure - i.e. They will melt down into a pile
>> of slag before they will accept mail from you.
>>
>> John
>
> As I I don't know that much about how is it that someone can get to send mail
> from a  blacklisted  IP address?  I'm connected to the internet through an
> ISP and the ip I used, I supposed, is supplied from them.
>
>   In other words, what have I done wrong ? How do I get to not using
> felipe at bizet.sys.linux as mi mail-address if just bizet.sys.linux is the name
> of my computer ?

Normally your ISP will provide an email account with an associated smtp
forwarder for you.   Just set up your mail client program to use this
account directly instead of sending through your own sendmail.  If you
do want your sendmail to handle it (perhaps to get queueing when offline
or to let programs send mail easily), add your ISP's smtp forwarder as
your sendmail 'smart host' in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl

(the 'dnl' is the comment token).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com