Changing machine's name

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Mar 24 13:59:41 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:

>> Looks like your ISP or local DHCP server is setting your hostname.  By
>> default dhclient asks to be assigned a new hostname.
>>
>> man dhclient.conf
>>
>> shows you can create an /etc/dhclient.conf with a "request" line that
>> excludes host-name, that should stop it getting set.
>
> Thanks, Andy and Chris. I do not have any /etc/dhclient.conf file.
>
> A reboot does not improve the situation. The list of today's updates is:

Yes you don't have an /etc/dhclient.conf by default, no conf file means
all defaults, and the default is to ask for host-name as specified on
the manpage.  Giving an explicit request line *without* host-name might
actually help you then.  This can be as easily caused by changes at your
ISP DHCP server (if your box is directly on the Internet) as anything else.

-Andy