Where did my sound go?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 14:54:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 00:07 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have the same problem except Alsamixer is set correctly and I can find
> > > "system-config-soundcard" at "/usr/bin/system-config-soundcard" but with
> > >   no result,it will not run.Any other way to test my sound card.
> > >

> > In system-config-soundcard go to System tab, click  "Reload audio
> > drivers", click "Apply" button, then give sound test another go.
>
> Forgot to mention that after performing the above on my system I get
> sound; however, Volume Control Applet says that it failed to detect a
> soundcard or gstreamer-plugin was not installed after I reboot.
Ok I said this before and a rant started so lets keep cool. Sound cards
and soundcard detection is one of the less robust features of FC6 and to
some extent in all Fedoras.
1. FC6 has yet to admit my sound card exists. That is not quite true the
boot messages recognized it but lspci does not. So the way to go in most
cases launch the driver manually . That seems not to be a problem in the
OP case.
2. Why is not the alsamixer display set correctly initially? Is there
anyone that does not want these channels (like CD) unmuted and set at
high volume. Only people with peculiar special needs should have to go
to alsamixer. And installing new rpms should not destroy the alsa
settings as firefox2 did. (Do you hear me remi and mozilla?).
3. Certainly soundcard detection could be combined with alsa
configuration.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>