help me with my font fu please ...

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Mar 28 05:56:51 UTC 2007

I recently sojourned in a hacker's paradise and had before me a fine pair of
27-inch widescreen LCDs for a few months.

While there I spent some time using gnome-terminal (I normally use
rxvt-unicode), and routinely worked in a teensie tiny font which got plenty
of code on the screen and was still perfectly legible.

I obtained this font by choosing "Monospace" and "10" in the "Font"
setting on the Edit->Current_Profile->General tab, the typing Ctrl-minus
twice to get down to something I liked.

I have failed utterly to identify that font so that I can ask another
terminal to use it:-( I'm very fond of rxvt-unicode, and it does support
these new fangled font descriptions. And yet the new descriptions are
not very specific - such documentation as I've found seems to say that
I'm saying to the font systems "please rummage around a bit and find
something resembling my request". Is there a way to find out exactly
which font was selected?

Any help in this would be appreciated. I missed the text-dense environment I
had come to like so much, and use so effectively.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Reaching consensus in a group often is confused with finding the right
answer. - Norman Maier