[OT] Firefox easter egg???

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 07:45:36 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Deepak Shrestha:
> >> The small feature I found out in firefox today went unnoticed to me
> >> for years. I found out by accident that typing the popular links
> >> without www and com part (for example google) and pressing ctrl+enter
> >> in firefox adds the missin www & com part in the url and brings to the
> >> www.google.com.
>

> Tarjei Knapstad:
> > AFAIK it doesn't add anything, but submits the keyword(s) you type to
> > google and sends you directly to the "I'm feeling lucky" page.
>
> Nah, it does, indeed, work as previously described.  That's easily
> proved while trying it off-line, or against domain names that Google
> knows nothing about.
>
> Try it and see for yourself.  Clear out the address gadget, type in a
> domain name without www or com around it, and press ctrl and enter.
>
> If you try it on an address with www already there, it does nothing.  If
> you try it with an address already ending with com, it adds www and com
> around it (you get www.example.com.com from example.com).

If you type in "new movies" for instance you'll be sent to
http://movies.go.com/. Watch the status bar at the bottom, it connects
to google.com first. Entering "new movies" as a query at google and
clicking "I'm feeling lucky" brings you to the same site. Typing
"fedora repositories" brings you to
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Fedora_apt_and_yum_repositories.html
which does not exactly correspond to just adding www. and .com

It's possible that FF just adds .com etc. if you're offline, but
that's probably a fallback.

I believe I'm right - so there! ;)

Regards,
--