Linux for old laptop?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 28 16:30:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 11:04 -0500, Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> Looks like it'll be painful to use FC in this laptop?
That's too strict, ...

>  Even for bare minimum install and then just add KDE?
... this is the point: Running KDE, openoffice and "playing videos" are
"heavy-weight" tasks.

Running and using them on such a machine is technically possible, but
won't be "real fun" and won't be "lightning-fast".

> Alternatively, I've had great experience with lean Slackware
> installations, except that it takes more effort to get things up to
> date. Usually just FTP download the updates and manually installing
> them.
What I said above isn't limited to Fedora. The issues are independent of
a particular distro - The problems will be similar on all distros,
because the issues are these applications'
demands/resource-requirements.

If I were you, simply try it to get an impression.

Ralf