FC4 -> FC6

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed Mar 28 19:59:50 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 19:51 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>

>> I suggest you backup your data first if you do this.
>> A FC(n) ->FC(n+1) is reasonable but still not really recommended, normally it
>> works for most people. FC(n) -> FC(n+2) is not so well tested...
>>

> I wouldn't think of doing it at all. An upgrade just from one level to
> the next is an iffy proposition. Just one bleep or bloop on your
> net-connected massive yum session might leave you crippled and broken
> past the point of reasonable recovery. Ordering a set from one of the
> software houses is almost as cheap as buying blank CD's. Or, ask one of
> your friends that use Fedora to send you copies. That's what I did!
> <chuckles> At least you'd have the tools to recover with and could
> install from the CD's, if the upgrade fails. YMMV, but I'd prepare in
> advance for catastrophe. Most guys that have an upgrade session fail
> will report almost a week's worth of work to recover. I did that once,
> never again. Ric

    That's fine and dandy, except that I've tried twice to upgrade from
FC5 to FC6 with two different sets of CDs.  In both cases the .iso files
and the CDs verified successfully, but the install crashed just before
the end of the first CD with an error related to a lock file.  (I
misremember the exact message, but it was the same both times I tried.)
In both cases, it left me with an unrecoverably trashed system.  However
rather than taking a week or more to straighten out, it took 1 1/2
days.  A day to reinstall FC5, and about 12 hours to let YUM reapply all
the updates.
    I'm now waiting for FC7 to see if it's any better, but I'm not
really optimistic.  Maybe I'll give kubuntu a try next.
Gordon