HOw to determine correct serial port

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Mar 29 14:27:22 UTC 2007

David Fletcher wrote:
> At 13:53 29/03/2007, you wrote:
>
>> I've got a USB to Serial port adapter and for the life of me I can't
>> find the right port for it.  I want to be able to use the adapter in
>> linux to communicate with some Cisco devices we have so that I don't
>> have to boot to Windows.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> From memory, it's something like /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> Remember to add yourself to the uucp group.

You may also want to run "tail /var/log/messages" after plugging in
the device. It will show you the port assigned, or show that Linux
does not know how to handle that specific device.

Here is an example of a properly detected device:
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for
ark3116
ark3116 converter detected
usb 2-1: ark3116 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver ark3116

Here is an unknown device: (ETI2 eBook)
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7

I trimmed the messages to fit - they all start with something like:
Mar 29 09:17:08 mikkel kernel:

Mikkel