FC4 -> FC6

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Mar 29 15:45:39 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> There are many applications that I was running in FC4 that I still have
>> not found for FC6 in rpm form.
>
> Such as ...

Not all of them come from the Fedora team.

I would have to go through all my lists but the one that is causing me
problems is gimp-gap at this time.  Some of the DVD software was not
available when I installed either.

I don't have a just application list at this time.  When I did the clean
install, I only installed the desktop I then installed other
applications.  At that time the number of packages that were different
from the original install were 958 rpms including libs.  Now some of the
original packages from the FC4 system have been merged with newer
packages and some are not needed due to different packages.

This was one of the problems with the upgrade.  Packages couldn't be
found by Anaconda.  This is why I stated that using only the Fedora
repositories may mean that an upgrade will go better.

>> It also took a very very long time to do, almost all day.  A clean
>> install was under an hour plus the updates.
>
> How exactly did you do the upgrade?
> Did you run the installation CD, and choose "upgrade"?
> I don't think this should have taken all day,
> or indeed more time than a clean install and update.

It was an upgrade from the DVD using Anaconda.  I also use other
repositories so getting updates from them were problematic as some don't
exist.  Used the same DVD for the clean install on a new harddrive.

As many packages required going out to the Internet to get newer
versions, this slowed things down.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.