why does the system often get restarted automaticlly?

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:05:18 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> yz wang wrote:
>> It often crashes or restarts. The latest restarting occurs while only
>> 3 web browsers are open. How can I solve this problem? Thanks!
> Whenever this has happened to me (no log entries or hints) it has always
> been a power supply going bad.

I can second that. Just last week, one of my servers, an IBM X-Series
255, was having a similar problem. Nothing much was gained from the log
files but the LPD (Light Path Diagnostics) panel indicated a problem
with power. It turned out to be a faulty power module.
OS was RHEL 4 (Nahant Update 3).

--
Regards
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)