Nameserver Problem

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 31 17:31:25 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> Once you set up zone records on a machine, it'll use them instead of
> trying externally, as it already has an answer for queries (even if its
> a null answer).  I do this for advert busting.  I have a series of
> configuration entries for annoying domain names that'll return null
> answers for the network.  That gets rid of various web browsing
> annoyances, centrally.
>
> I added a series of lines like the following to my lan.conf file:
>
> zone "adimages.com"             { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
> zone "admonitor.com"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
> zone "adsfac.net"               { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
> zone "advertising.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
> zone "amazingmedia.com"         { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
>
> Which causes any queries for those domains to get *MY* answer, not the
> one from their real master servers.  The "dead.zone" file as as follows,
> it produces a "no answer" result, causing instant death for the attempt
> to browse to it.
>
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
>                         200 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttl
>                         )
>

>         IN      NS      ns.localdomain.
>
> And that's the whole thing, there's no further entries in it.  It works
> better than wildcarding, or playing with hosts files, as that directs
> queries to somewhere else, rather than aborting them.
>
> The same applies if you provide real answers for a domain.  They'll be
> used, instead of going out on the internet to get the records.

I don't find a "lan.conf" file but I do have the following.  Which one,
if any, can I operate on to eliminate the loading of those darned
links?  My satellite connection has an inherent delay and waiting for
six or eight ad links to be dealt with that I never view is maddening!
The caching-nameserver works well enough once it looks up an address but
there's still the time wasted collecting data that is never displayed,
eliminated from Firefox by 'Adblock' and 'Flashblock.'

        /etc/named.rfc1912.zones
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/localdomain.zone
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/localhost.zone
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/my.external.zone.db
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/my.internal.zone.db
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/slaves/my.ddns.internal.zone.db
        /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.4/sample/var/named/slaves/my.slave.internal.zone.db
        /var/named/localdomain.zone
        /var/named/localhost.zone
        /var/named/chroot/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
        /var/named/chroot/var/named/localdomain.zone
        /var/named/chroot/var/named/localhost.zone

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia