Smolt vs. dmidecode

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Tue May 1 05:26:40 UTC 2007

Just a curious point.

I noted that my smolt profile doesn't indicate my system's motherboard
model/revision information.  I guess ASUS just never got around to
filling in the bits at whatever location smolt is looking.

        UUID: 2f04459f-c147-4b96-b912-24b8534bc6e2
        OS: Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
        Default run level: 5
        Language: en_US.UTF-8
        Platform: x86_64
        BogoMIPS: 2010.05
        CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
        CPU Model: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246
        Number of CPUs: 2
        CPU Speed: 2000
        System Memory: 5950
        System Swap: 1983
        Vendor: System manufacturer
        System: System Product Name System Version

It also seems that dmidecode pulls that information, but is is able to
get the mobo model/revision info from the BIOS at a different location:

# dmidecode 2.7
SMBIOS 2.3 present.
56 structures occupying 1766 bytes.
Table at 0x000F0000.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 20 bytes.
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
        Version: ASUS K8N-DL ACPI BIOS Revision 1008
        Release Date: 02/17/2006

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
System Information
        Manufacturer: System manufacturer
        Product Name: System Product Name
        Version: System Version
        Serial Number: System Serial Number
        UUID: 50ECB49C-06A4-D911-B7D5-E9686682C17E

Any chance that smolt can be modified in the same way?  Just a thought.

Sean