VMWare will not start, even after vmware-config.pl

Lux Zhang yuanlux at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:42:05 UTC 2007

On 02/05/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just today I have been unable to start my VMWare Workstation 1.0.2. I
> have not updated the system, and I ran vmware-config.pl anyway, but
> alas it will not start. When I click the VMWare menu item, the system
> slows to a half and then locks up, requiring four seconds on the power
> button to shut the system down. CTRL-ALT-BKSP does not kill the X
> server, theres nothing I can do. Note that the VMWare service starts
> fine at bootup.

if you vmware starts up, means the configureation is ok. that indicates the
problem is with your virtual machine. check your virtual machine directory,
if there are WRITELOCK files or unfinished virtua machine etc.

to be sure, you may just restart vmware. most times, any-any-update can deal
with configuration problems.

What should I start troubeshooting?