udev causing "Cannot Display the Video Mode" on flat panel

Edward DeMeulle ed at demeulle.org
Wed May 2 05:28:21 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07 19:27, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org> wrote:

>> goes
>> in GRUB
>> udev
>> test
>> trying
>> speed
>> >>

>> > First off, it is probably not udev causing the problem. A quick test
>> > would be to boot without rhgb in the boot line. This will keep
>> > things in the text mood on boot, instead of the pretty graphical
>> > boot display. When you edit the grub line to remove "rhgb", you may
>> > also want to put a 3 at the end so you boot in the text mode. Then
>> > try configuring X again.
>> >
>> > Mikkel
>> >
>> I tried what you suggested. However, the video mode is still getting
>> messed up and causing the above message from the flat panel right after
>> the "Starting udev" message. Following is the grub entry being used:
>>
>> title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6) Text
>>         root (hd0,0)
>>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
>> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 3
>
> Append "vga=791" to the above line. It should set the graphics adapter
> to 1024x768x64K colors.
>
>>         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img
>>
>> --
>> Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org>

That got me back the screen. Thanks! Why does it turn out that both of
these lines result in a text boot-up (no pretty boot display)? I tried
vga=normal as well as vga=extended. It seems that for some reason the
video needs to be set to a graphics mode or udev trashes it. Does this
make sense?

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 vga=791 3

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 vga=791
rhgb quiet

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org>