udev causing "Cannot Display the Video Mode" on flat panel

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed May 2 08:58:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 08:38 -0700, Edward DeMeulle wrote:
> After fresh installing Fedora 6 just after udev starts the screen goes
> blank and displays the above message. Neither setting runlevel 3 in GRUB
> nor Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2, etc. restore the screen. I do have ssh access and
> can even do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and blindly login. So now what? Apparently udev
> is either causing the video card to set itself to an unusual mode or
> it's forcing it to use the DVI port (I'm bringing a cable home to test
> this, but I want to use VGA for my KVM switch). Video card is an ATI
> Rage 128. I've read through the udev literature for a bit and am trying
> to understand it's workings. Does anyone have any tips that might speed
> up the resolution of this problem?
>
> --
> Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org>

If you are lucky, you can reboot, and the system will eventually reset
to the 640x480 mode and proceed.  When it gets to setting up the video,
it should give you an error message and ask if you want to look at a
log.  Answer yes to that and both the next two message boxes.  This will
bring you to a screen where you can setup the video.  Choose the correct
driver, select the correct monitor, and then let it finish rebooting.
You will probably end up at the wrong screen resolution.  If you can get
to the display, choose the resolution you wish, with the video card you
have (a Rage 128 I believe, and I am running a Rage Pro, which I think
is basically the same one.  If all goes well, you should be able to
select the monitor and card, then log back out and reboot.  This will
take a bit, but eventually you will have the battery and tjem the hood
me out of the store.  PiCK, your dislay and proceed.

YMMV.
Regards,
Les H