Redefining udev permissions on a given device (/dev/isdninfo)

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Wed May 2 21:11:07 UTC 2007

Hi Mikkel,

thanks again for your very helpful post!

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Well, one other thing you could try is to create a file
> /etc/udev/device.d/15-isdninfo.rules with a line:

I think, you meant '/etc/udev/rules.d/...' because device.d does not exist on my
Fedora Core 6 system.

> KERNEL=="isdninfo", NAME="%k", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0660",
> OPTIONS="last_rule"

Anyway, this did not work.

> If it does not work,
> then chances are something outside of udev is changing the
> permissions.

But that comment encouraged my to search the problem outside of udev so I first
looked into the init scripts for isdn and saw some strange MAKEDEV calls
commented by "workaround for kernel/udev".

Long story short, /sbin/MAKEDEV creates all the devices and udev has nothing to
do anything with it.

The file to change was /etc/makedev.d/01linux-2.6.x
- c $ROOT                 45 255  1   1 isdninfo
+ c 0660 root dialout     45 255  1   1 isdninfo

Thanks for your help, your comments were the key to my success - tried to solve
the problem several months ago but failed until now...

fs