how to get dhclient to reconfigure link?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu May 3 03:24:15 UTC 2007

Joe Smith wrote:
> I had to unplug my network connection (FC5; single PC-cable modem) for a
> couple of hours today, and when I plugged it back in, the kernel
> recognized that the link was up again, but the dhcp client did not
> reconfigure the link. I tried ifconfig eth0 down/up--no change. I
> finally just killed and re-started dhclient, which worked but seems
> pretty clunky. What's the recommended solution?
>
> <Joe

You may want to try "ifdown eth0" followed by "ifup eth0" instead of
using ifconfig. If you are going to have to do this often, you may
want to take a look at netplugd. If properly configured, it should
take care of it automatically for you.

If you want to do it manually, there is the network applet or System
--> Administration --> Networking to do it from the GUI.

Mikkel