GUI for mounting drives?

Zoltan Szabo szzoli at elte.hu
Thu May 3 08:40:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007 22:49:42 -0400
"Michael Wiktowy" <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora works really well for mounting removable media on /media and
> putting a icon on the desktop, does Fedora have a GUI means of
> triggering a similar thing for mounting a fixed disk partition (and
> asking for the requisite root password)?
>
> I was looking around for such a thing and couldn't find anything in
> pirut that did that.
>
> I did end up cludging something with mount command lines and making
> directories but it seemed like there was an easier way to be had by
> just extending what happens for removable media.
>
> /Mike

Gkrellm gives a panel-like GUI for mounting/umounting (clickable
buttons). You can lift in your mount points from /etc/fstab, or specify
it manually (right click on Gkrellm > Configuration > Builtins > File
System). A useful feature is its user-definable (u)mount command:
e.g., mount + open the mounted volume in your favourite file manager.

Note: It doesn't ask for a password (mounts if you can, or
provides a small error message window, if you can't).

Z.