kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:39:19 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
>
> > I entered a RFE (request for enhancement) for the installonlyn plugin
> > asking for the ability to shield/retain specific version of the
> > kernel. I was shot down.
>
> Right. That's outside the scope of the plugin.
>
> Upon reflection I realized that yum updates
> > worked fine before installonlyn was developed. In my case there is no
> > need for it. If I find too many kernels are installed I just remove
> > those I do not want.
>
> Of course you will. Others find it useful. absolute statements are no
> good here.
>
> > The phrase "in addition to" is incorrect. It should be "includes". You
> > get a maximum of two kernels; that is, if you already have two kernels
> > installed then an update will remove the oldest.
>
> Behavior got changed and I am not a native speaker. We aren't going to
> fix the FC5 release notes after all this period. It provides the gist of
> the information that is required to understand what's going on and
> change the configuration if required. That should serve the purpose.

I am not faulting your language abilities. It is probably better than
mine.You provided the reference. I corrected the information
referenced.

By the way, it is unfortunate that the FC5 release note is the only
place where this is documented. I find no correction in any Fedora
Core on-line documentation regarding the change in behavior. It
certainly did not make it's way into the FC6 release notes. If the
change did not make it into the documentation of following
distribution and the FC5 on-line release notes were not updated how do
end-users get informed?