kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 6 22:48:28 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
\
> How do you know a user is not using dialup? More than half of my LUG
> is on dialup and I'm in the middle of Silicon Valley!

Reasonable guesstimate considering the number of updates that get
through the server. I would say for dial ups Fedora hasn't been a good
fit previously.

There are two things that are changing that.

* yum-utils got a yum security plugin which would download updates
classified as security issues.

* yum presto plugin which downloads delta rpms instead of full updates.
These aren't mirror widely yet but should happen sooner or later.

> The "installonlyn" plugin is probably better suited to RHEL, not
> Fedora Core. I do not have a RHEL license but my take is that RHEL has
> fewer released kernel updates than a developmental product such as
> Fedora Core. If the goal of Fedora Core is to test various packages it
> really makes no sense for the testers (that's the entire FC user base)
> to have stable or reference kernel packages pulled out from them.

Yes it doesn't make sense if your assumptions are true but then they are
not. The goals of Fedora are clearly outlined in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives. It doesn't make much sense for
RHEL and RHEL does not have it because the number of updates are very
low and a plugin to manage the number wouldn't be very useful. Yum does
prompt for all actions by default and all the plugins have on load
messages so there is no chance that something is going to happen without
the user being informed.

When you buy RHEL what you get is a subscription (which is essentially a
support contract) btw, not a license

Rahul