kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon May 7 04:02:28 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, david walcroft <david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Martin Marques wrote:
> > I just finished upgrading the kernels in my FC6 with yum and I see this
> > at the end:
> >
> > Removed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> > Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
> >
> > Now, why did it remove does kernel? Shouldn't it just install the new
> > ones and leave old ones there?
> >
> For what it's worth my system at /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf
> is "tokeep=4" but the last kernel update only left 2 kernels in boot.I
> have no idea how to fix this.

If you still have the packages for the removed kernels "rpm -ivh
kernel-2.6.xxx." as either the superuser or root will reinstall them.
If you don't have the packages locating them will be a hassle since FC
mirrors keep only the latest two. (A request to the list might work.)
If you do not want this problem to reoccur edit installonlyn.conf and
disable the plugin.

In any event you should file a bug report.