Cannot choose Beryl as the windows manager

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon May 7 11:06:27 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen writes:

> On 07/05/07, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>> Before you purchased this laptop, the right thing to do would've been to
>> verify that it's video hardware is supported by Mesa.  It's fine that you're
>> willing to spend some of your money to purchase hardware that's supported by
>> free Linux drivers, however, the time to do that was before you purchased
>> your laptop.  You cannot just take it for granted that you can buy any OEM
>> laptop, off the shelf, and have everything in it working, right out of the
>> box, in Linux.  That, unfortunately, not how it works.  Maybe in about 10-15
>> years, but not now.
>
> Like said, I did do that. Seperate threads on this very list for the
> wifi card, video, bluetooth drivers, and vefore all that for the
> laptop model itself.

So?  What happened?  What led you to conclude that this laptop's video was
fully supported?

Now, I do see that one video option listed on Dell's web site, for your
laptop -- that's one out of four options -- is an Intel 950 chipset.

According to
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Intel?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware,
this chipset appears to be supported by Mesa (by the i945 driver).  Although
you'd still need to verify if the version of Mesa shipped in Fedora includes
the i950 support, that's probably what happened.  Somebody had this laptop
with the i950 chipset option, and told you that they had working 3D
acceleration, but neglected to mention that you have to order this option.