Wifi

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue May 8 01:11:02 UTC 2007

Adam Hastings <h1adam at aol.com> wrote:

> I can't figure out how to get wifi working in Fedora Core 6 on my new
> Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fedora User Adam
There are three possibilities:

1) The wireless NIC of your laptop has native kernel support,
2) it has a proprietary driver support, or
3) you can use ndiswrapper to use the NIC's Windoze driver under Linux.

Try doing lspci -vv from a command prompt and find the output that
corresponds to the wireless device for your laptop.  Post that and
there's a good chance someone here can give you some additional help
getting it working.

For my laptop, lspci -vv gives me:

03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 12f8
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 177
        Region 0: Memory at b0204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

along with a bunch of other interesting stuff.  You want to find the one
that says "Wireless" somewhere.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce