dovecot and encfs problems

Mail List lists at sapience.com
Mon May 14 01:08:57 UTC 2007

   I am trying to have dovecot use an encfs file system - its the Maildir
directory in user home directory - obviously trying to improve security.
Since multiple mail programs may be used, user runs a local imap for storage.

  What I did was move an existing Maildir to encfs encrypted area and put a
soft link in home directory pointing to it.

   Dovecot seems not to like this - first it complains
mmap(.../dovecot.index) - no such device, then it complains link(xxx,
dovecot-uidlist.lock) failed - Operation not permitted then it complains
file_dot_lock_open(xxx/dovecot-uidlist) failed: Operation not permitted.

  This continues in the same vein.

   Anyone know if dovecot can work on an fuse-encfs filesystem for its
~/Maildir directory?

thanks.

g/