X window woes

yk qiongkun123 at 163.com
Tue May 15 00:56:09 UTC 2007

Will X try to resolve $(hostname) if the DISPLAY variable is ":0" ?

My inclination, were I writing X (note the subjunctive),
would be to convert ":0" to either "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 .
Your hostname needs to be resolvable on the local machine. This can
be through any of the methods listed in /etc/hosts.conf. You will
get a DNS timeout delay if it is not. (An entry in /etc/hosts is
enough on most systems.)
Mikkel and Mickael:
Thanks for your posts, name resolving could be a reason,but may not be the major concern in my case.
/etc/hosts configure automatically when installation.
Is there any thing else that I may over looked?