amarok problem with xine

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 15 13:52:46 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>>> but are stricly legal (or legalistic) sites
>>> not allowed to tell us where to find non-free RPMs?
>>> Would that be breaking the law?
> It's not as if it's that hard to work out.  All you do is Google search
> "how to play [bogus-example] files in mplayer" and you get plenty of
> results.

Actually it was not that simple for me.
I googled for "amarok mp3 fedora"
and was led to a different non-free codec which did not work.

I gather that I should have specified that amarok was using xine;
unfortunately I don't understand the relation between programs like amarok
and "sound engines".
In particular I wasn't offered any option to use gstreamer rather than xine.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366