Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:53:43 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> In our experience, Fedora is rock-solid, at least in comparison to
> Windows.  My work machine runs until there is a new kernel upgrade.
> Most of the Fedora machines run BOINC (We are R&D) in the background as
> well as our Fedora Cluster.

I find that Windows (when I last used it over a year and a half ago)
and Fedora have different stability problems. Windows
dies/BSOD's/resets itself in the middle of work. Fedora does not, but
sometimes certain features stop working (ie, VMWare).

> Some people have just installed Ubuntu onto their work machines.

Which I just did yesterday. The Ubuntu install on my particular
hardware was more difficult than the Fedora install. As much as
anaconda is bashed, I love it. However, Ubuntu (once running) is (in
my experience) stable in that if something worked yesterday, then it
will work today. It does need a lot of tweaking out of the box,
however, unless one likes to live in a Windows copycat world. Using
KDE instead of the default Gnome helps.

> >> An example is where I work, for multimedia work, Ubuntu is a better
> >> choice.  We needed a machine to run videos and other multimedia files
> >> that won't run on Windows machines.  We now have a Ubuntu machine just
> >> for this purpose.
> >>
> >> For secure work, Fedora looks better.  The best example of this is the
> >> dreaded SELinux.  In Fedora, this is default but Ubuntu it is an add-on.
> >>
> >> In regards to updates, I was watching Synaptic (sp?) update the Ubuntu
> >> machine and to be honest, I didn't see any difference between kyum and
> >> it on the front end.
> >>
> >> There may be problems with yum and rpm but I have not found that to be
> >> in my case.  I have found yum to be quite handy and my only issues come
> >> more from the different repositories than yum or rpm.
> >>
> >> So, for now, I will stick with Fedora due to the security issues.  If
> >> Ubuntu decides to follow suite, then I will look at it again.  That is
> >> as long as I can find secondary repositories that will meet my
> >> multimedia requirements.
> >
> > You'll ifnd that enabling non-free software is a lot easier in Ubuntu
> > than in Fedora. Not that it's difficult in Fedora, but in Ubuntu, one
> > can click on an MP3, then click Yes Yes Yes until it plays.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >

> It didn't work that well on the machine I witnessed being setup but it
> was no worse than Fedora.  As long as you can find a decent HowTo on
> setting up Multimedia, then life is great.

After the install and tweaking to personal liking, the difference
between distros is in the maintnance. While I prefer yum to apt-get, I
find that Ubuntu doesn't break things in regular use. Also, it boots
_fast_, due to having less services running, I'm sure (No SSH, no
IPTables, etc...).

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/