Backing up Evolution e-mail messages

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:59:29 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:

>> The same problem for thunderbird!
>>

> For Thunderbird.
>
> cp -r ~/.thunderbird/{user directory}/Mail /media/{usb drive}
>
> This will copy all the directories, all the mail boxes and all the rest
> of the information.
>
> I have done this various times.  I have even transfered mail between
> Linux and Windows and back but with permission headaches.

A slow but simple way to way to copy mail around without worrying about
conversions is to set up an IMAP server (like dovecot) on a linux box
somewhere, then set up an account pointing to it on any imap-aware
client, select the messages you want to move or copy and drop them in
their new destination folder.  This doesn't get them on an external
drive (without some extra contortions) but if you can arrange access to
the server it might be even more portable.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com