Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 18 05:18:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 12:52 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 17:38 -0700, Les wrote:
> > One thing I am still not clear about.... If someone (like me)
> > creates some whooptidoo program that does something wonderful, can
> > he/she sell that program commercially?  Or is that code automatically
> > under GPL because it is designed on Linux?
>
> Isn't that two issues?  You can sell what you create, but GPL licensing
> and conditions go along for the ride.

My take on it all is that what is created under the GPL is freely given
away, but you are certainly free to charge whatever the market will bear
to hire your expertise in utilizing your program. Certainly if it is the
Next Thing, does extremely useful stuff and gives value, you will find
your services in demand. For a lot of folks, having successfully sired
an Open Source project is the fast-track to a great job with plenty of
perks. Having a regular paycheck is no small thing.

Becoming renown  ...priceless. :) Ric