installing probs with configure - general question

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sat May 19 19:51:25 UTC 2007

checking for SAMPLERATE... yes
checking for SNDFILE... yes
checking for GAVL... configure: error: *** gavl >= 0.2.3 not found -
this program requires the gmerlin audio
  video library >= 0.2.3 http://gmerlin.sourceforge.net/ ***

So, where do I look to find out why ./configure for openmovieeditor
can't see my installed gavl?
- - - snip - - -
/usr/local/include/gavl
/usr/local/include/gavl/gavl.h
/usr/local/include/gavl/gavltime.h
/usr/local/lib/gavl
/usr/local/lib/libgavl.a
/usr/local/lib/libgavl.la
/usr/local/lib/libgavl.so
/usr/local/lib/libgavl.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libgavl.so.0.0.0
/usr/local/lib/gavl/include
/usr/local/lib/gavl/include/gavlconfig.h
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gavl.pc

I've asked on their forum, but no response, and sent email to developer,
but no response.  Seems I need to learn how to troubleshoot and fix
configure issues.  Any general pointers appreciated, like what steps to
take to pin down what happens during configure install step.
Tom