Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 08:47:27 UTC 2007

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 19 May 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> TANSTAAFL
> >
> >What the blue blazes does that mean?
> >
> >Anne
>
> Oh, my. Sad, even shocking my dear Anne. You just gave yourself away as
> being someone who has never read one of sci-fi's more famous authors, one
> Robert A. Heinlein, now deceased,

On the contrary.  I have read some of his books, just not the one referred to
in another mail.

> who was rather fond of the expression,
> but I think he borrowed in from Ernest Hemingway back in the dim mists of
> time now.
>
> What it stands for is the first letter of each word in "There ain't no such
> thing as a free lunch"

I've known the saying for as long as I can remember, though I don't recall
ever seeing the acronym before.

Actually, I deplore the use of long acronyms that frequently mean little or
nothing to the reader.

Anne