Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun May 20 22:03:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 16:37 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 11:34 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I despise acronyms myself. I never know what someone is referring to,
> > > especially the example put forth on the list. Stating that there was no
> > > such thing as a free lunch would have been better and understood my more
> > > readers of the list.
> >
> > True, but since it was used by Heinlein and for the most part we are
> > SciFi reading geeks, it was appropriate to quote the "Master" as he used
> > it. <g> Plus some acronyms don't bear translating, like SNAFU and STFU
> > <cackles> Ric
>
> According to Bartlett's Quotations the expression is attributed top Milton Friedman.
> --
> Research is the best place to be: you work your buns off, and if it
> works you're a hero; if it doesn't, well -- nobody else has done it yet
> either, so you're still a valiant nerd.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

I heard this from my father in the 50's, so I knew it predated Milton
Friedmans book.  Here is what I found:
                        The Columbia World of Quotations.  1996.

                                               NUMBER:
                                  3608
                                            QUOTATION:
                    There is no such thing as a free
                                 lunch.
                                          ATTRIBUTION:
                              Anonymous.

                   An axiom from economics popular in
                   the 1960s, the words have no known
                   source, though have been dated to
                   the 1840s, when they were used in
                  saloons where snacks were offered to
                   customers. Ascribed to an Italian
                    immigrant outside Grand Central
                     Station, New York, in Alistair
                   Cooke’s America (epilogue, 1973),
                  the expression appears in Robert A.
                     Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh
                    Mistress, ch. 11 (1966), but has
                  become most closely associated with
                  economist Milton Friedman, who made
                    it the title of a book in 1975.

 The Columbia World of Quotations. Copyright © 1996 Columbia University
                                                 Press.

It is not definitive.   I also remember it being carved in the
smokehouse wall at my grandmothers.  There it probably dated from the
20's during the great depression.  The house was several generations
old.  Unfortunately the Smokehouse was torn down in the mid 60s as I
recall.  The house had hobo symbols all around it because my
grandparents and their parents before them were quite charitable.  No
one left without some food and maybe some clothes if times permitted.
They were expected to split some wood or haul some coal or shovel snow,
but they got a room, sometimes a bed if possible, and a warm place to
stay.  Even baths were provided, but they had to pump their own water.
It was a different time, and a hard time.  But Here's to Ray and Alma.
May they live on in hearts and minds.

Regards,
Les H