Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun May 20 23:09:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 18:04:28 -0400,
  Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:
> At 04:08 PM 5/20/2007, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> That's what I read, and yet the Fedora 7 Test 4 DVD ISO is smaller than the
> FC6 DVD ISO which doesn't include the extras.

That was from before the merge. I have made an image after the merge and
it was 9GB. It is going to be really close to get all fo F7 on two DVDs.

> I am acutely aware that F7, like most distros, is free, and believe me
> nobody appreciates the hard work that the Fedora people do more than
> me.  Having said that, I have to wonder if the installer shouldn't be smart
> enough to guard the user against these kinds of "either/or" conflicts...
> and I have to further wonder if Linux will ever gain the mainstream
> acceptance its adherents so devoutly wish for, if it is so easy to wedge an
> installation by simply selecting too many things.

That will probably take some effort. I was seeing conflicts when trying to
upgrade packages from rawhide of around test4 to current rawhide.

One thing an everything install would be good for is testing for conflicts.

If you want everything installs on lots of machines you personally are
responsible for, look at kickstart.