Checkbox for "Install Everything"

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon May 21 05:21:33 UTC 2007

From: "Ric Moore" <wayward4now at gmail.com>

> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 21:04 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > which is a decision that might very well have pushed me over the edge
>> > into switching to a new distribution.
>>
>> Now FC7 has core and extras merged an everything install would be
>> borderline insane, if even possible where there are conflicts.
>>
>> If you just click each of the general groups when you install you instead
>> got "all the normal useful stuff" which is rather more sensible.
>
> Ok, so you can have multiple picks instead of "chose one or die"? I hate
> to be the one to mention it, but one button *could* do just that? Get
> all the "normal useful stuff" and then we'd shut up blissfully unaware
> if we really got everything or not.

Since 5.0 at least it never did get you EVERYTHING. I discovered that on
my first install. I wanted some software that everything didn't install,
I discovered. (I clicked everything then went back to look at what
"everything" amounted to. I installed another half dozen packages, a
couple of which I even used. I never did get around to playing with
coding on Linux enough to need to play with some of the software
development stuff that routinely is not included in "everything" installs.
And I've even noticed of late that you're not even guaranteed to get
"units" if you click all the buttons. And that's a fun little toy.)

> Marketing. I lied for 26 years to make folks happy and keep them
> blissfully ignorant. I'm not saying that your everlasting soul won't get
> it's hair mussed. But, just a little <ahem> "compromise" won't send the
> devel team on a bobsled ride on greased rails straight to Hell.
> Nosirree! I guar-run-tee. You can trust me! <evil chuckles> <POOF!>
> <more evil chuckles echo in the far distance> Ric

You never had ME messing around behind your back after you installed
to my machine. But then, Magnavox learned to trust me pretty well pretty
quick off the bat when I got there. I accidentally (and I mean REALLY
accidentally) discovered a bug in their modem login code that some of
us used to login from home. It would not the user out of the connection
died. I discovered it by trying to get logged in and catching myself
in a co-worker's account. I looked around enough to figure out who then
logged out and told the IT folks about it the next day. They had the MOST
DELIGHTFUL "Oh Shit!" looks on their faces. (It was a facility that had a
DoD security clearance to maintain.)

Later on the IT folks simply told me the administrator password for the
Novell based PC systems we had. I used it once after a large layoff.
I had to get at some code in a laid off worker's account so I could finish
the project. I found it by searching then let the IT folks transfer it
"legal" fashion. It was easier when I was able to tell them where it was.

{^_-}