Thunder chicken

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 21 22:28:51 UTC 2007

Frode Petersen:
>> Here's how I have set up the filter for this list; it works here:
>>
>> For messages where one of the rules apply
>> Rule 1: 'List-Id' contains 'fedora-list.redhat.com'
>> Rule 2:	'To' contains 'fedora-list at redhat.com'
>> Move to chosen folder.

Anne Wilson:
> I'd add
> Rule 3:  'CC' contains 'fedora-list at redhat.com'

I wouldn't filter a list with either of the 2nd or 3rd rules.  It makes
for mistakes:

If you're on lists with list-id headers, they're redundant, at best.

If you're on both lists that something gets crossposted to, all the mail
goes to one folder, instead of one to each appropriate folder.

Private replies including a list address as a recipient get treated as
list mail, and that mayn't be appropriate.  I've seen quite a few people
get their knickers in a twist because someone replied publically to what
they sent privately, because the respondent never noticed it.

Likewise for spam.  It erroneously ends up in your list mail folder.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.