OT? power reqs of DDR2 chips

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Tue May 22 05:13:27 UTC 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 20:50:25 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> writes:
> > I'm building a new box that will use a DDR2 2G reg/ECC chip. I need to
> > estimate power draw for the system and can't seem to find a reference.
> > Its Kingston Value Ram, if that matters. The box _will_ run Fedora.
>
> I hate to give such a non-answer, but the power consumption is so
> highly determined by your usage pattern that you really can't do
> anything but try it and measure using a very low impedance meter.
> When running block-moves you'll probably see around 2watts per
> actively accessed chip.

So the setup I envisage is a pair of SATA drives in Raid 0, to get better
access speed, and a single matching SATA outside the RAID array as the
nightly backup device. I plan to use a signalling UPS. So a worst case occurs
when there is a power failure - the UPS signals the gadget which immediately
starts to save all the work in progress. I think this will exercise the RAM
pretty briskly and at that particular point I want to make sure there is
enough power supply, hence the question.

Dave