Evolution crashed, won't restart

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed May 23 02:44:48 UTC 2007

My evolution mail client crashed (while connecting to Exchange) and now I
can't get any evo component to start.  If I start from the taskbar, the
spinning cursor shows for a minute, then dies.  If I start from the
command line ("evolution --component=mail") it reports "CalDAV Eplugin
starting up ...", then seems to hang forever.  It doesn't matter what
component I try to start.

If I ^C the command-line start, no evo process shows, but after the
timeout from the taskbar start, a process shows running "evolution
--component=mail".  No window ever opens, though.

Is there a lock file someplace that needs to be deleted?  Or something
else?  Is ./.gconfd/saved_state the key, and if so, how can it be safely
repaired?  Can I repair it without losing data?

TIA.  I didn't have any e-mail there, but I really need my calendar back!

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu