OT? power reqs of DDR2 chips

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:44:04 UTC 2007

On Monday  May 21 2007 11:47:09 pm Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2007 20:33:22 Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Dave Stevens wrote:
> > > I'm building a new box that will use a DDR2 2G reg/ECC chip. I need to
> > > estimate power draw for the system and can't seem to find a reference.
> > > Its Kingston Value Ram, if that matters. The box _will_ run Fedora.
> >
> > Are you saying you want to know the power draw of the Kingston DDR2 2G
> > reg/ECC chip and the folks and Kingston can't help you?
> >
> > Even if that is the case, isn't the power draw of any memory chip
> > negligible when compared to the rest of the system to the point where it
> > has no meaning?
> >
> > Are you trying to decide what kind of PS to buy?
> >
> > And, oh yes, it is OT.
>
> ok, Ed, it IS OT. The motherboard will take 64GB of RAM and two Opteron
> Socket F CPUs. Kingston is closed over the weekend and holiday, so I
> thought I'd query the list. The question really is how much power supply do
> I buy if I anticipate loading the board right up over its lifetime.

A case in point was the Sheriff of Harris County (Houston) Texas who was
interviewed in Newsweek concerning the excessive force and brutality
demonstrated by his police force. The reporter asked him why they all were
outfitted with 45 Magnums? His reply, "...cause is it the biggest F***ing gun
I could find."  This may apply in your case as well. :) Ric