webcams, again

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Wed May 23 13:04:30 UTC 2007

Today Bob Goodwin - W2BOD did spake thusly:

> Scott van Looy wrote:
>> Today Bob Goodwin - W2BOD did spake thusly:

>>> How does one deal with this?
>>>
>>> camE
>>> can't load font arial/8
>>> can't load font arial/8
>>> can't load offline image /home/gilbertt/.block.jpg, ignoring
>>>

>> ^^^ this is irrelevant, simply config issues with camE
>>
>>> open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
>>
>> ^^^ this would imply that either your camera isn't supported by the kernel
>> module or the module isn't loaded...or for some bizarre reason it's on
>> video1 or something.
>>
>> Can you verify that the kernel module is loaded?
> Should it show when I do lsmod?
>
> That produces a long list but nothing I recognize as related to this.

Should do.
Open a terminal and do:
su -
tail -f /var/log/messages

Then in another terminal do:
modprobe gspca

and see what happens in the first one...it should detect your webcam and
create /dev/video0 - if it still doesn't, paste the output to us here?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Persistence in one opinion has never been considered a merit in political
leaders.
 		-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, "Ad familiares", 1st century BC