FC& Data recovery on USB disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu May 24 13:43:53 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> I start FC6 from an external USB disk.
>
> This morning I got an error on mounting /boot1 so th machine cannot start.
> I connected the external disk to another FC6 computer (booting from his
> disk): how do I recover the situation??
>
> When I connect the external disk I get:
>
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
> sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
> sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
>     Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1115
> JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
> EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>
> Any help??
>
> Tnx

If you do not have a backup of your data, it up now. You do not need
to backup the /boot partition, as it is easy to re-create. Once you
have a backup of the data, download ether the disk diagnostics from
the drive manufacturer's web site of the Ultimate Boot CD from
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and run diagnostics on the drive to
see how bad it is. But chances are you are looking at replacing the
drive. (Unless relocating bad sectors is turned off on the drive -
you may be able to keep using the drive if it is only one bad
sector, and it can remap it.)

You may also want to see if SMART is turned on for the drive, and
see what it reports.

Mikkel