[Fedora] Re: bind lame servers

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri May 25 06:29:06 UTC 2007

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> "DGM" == David G Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> writes:
>

> DGM> The allow-query clause means that anyone outside of my network
> DGM> get a query refused.
>
> Of course, this is not terribly useful if you are actually serving
> zones to the global DNS, but you can use "allow-recursion" in place of
> "allow-query" in that case.  It's probably the best way to do things
> unless you have another reason to set up multiple views.
Sorry.  I thought the example was clear.  The ruleset I posted only
applies to queries for my internal network (zone local.davenjudy.org).
Queries for my external addresses hit another ruleset that allows
queries but not updates:

zone "davenjudy.org" IN {
        type master;
        file "davenjudy.org";
        allow-query {
                any;
        };
};

That is, you can define independent rules for each zone in named.conf.
Since the rulesets can use ACLs that allow a subnet mask, maintenance is
pretty trivial.  Obviously, I don't want "allow-recursion" for this
ruleset but could see where it might come in handy if I had a large
enough network.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce