bind update error?

Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 25 18:54:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 01:57:24PM +0200, Jim van Wel wrote:
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:57:24 +0200 (CEST)
> From: "Jim van Wel" <jim at coolzero.info>
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: bind update error?
>
> Hi there,
>
> Got the same error here.
>
> So probably something faulty. But I think nothing to worry about.
>
> Greetings,
> Jim.
>
> > In last night's updates:
> >   Updating  : bind-chroot                  ####################### [ 7/18]
> > /usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin: line 224: [: : unary operator expected
> >
> > Anything to worry about?

If you are running a name server check some things.
You have a new /etc/sysconfig/named file
and the line 224 in  /usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin
is making a test in this context:

    . /etc/sysconfig/named
    if [ "$ENABLE_ZONE_WRITE" =  [yY1]* ]; then
        return 0;
    fi;

====

# /usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin
Usage:
  -e | --enable:   enable the bind-chroot environment
  -d | --disable:  disable the bind-chroot environment
  -s | --sync:     sync files between the bind chroot and / environments,
                   so they are correct for the current state of the bind-chroot
                   (enabled / disabled)
  $BIND_CHROOT_PREFIX, default /var/named/chroot, is the location of the chroot.
  $BIND_DIR, default /var/named, is the default un-chrooted bind directory.

# /usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin -s
/usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin: line 224: [: : unary operator expected

# /usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin -e
/usr/sbin/bind-chroot-admin: line 224: [: : unary operator expected

A quick glance and I suspect that there is an expectation for
a set of things in /etc/sysconfig/named that did not get sorted out.

My /etc/sysconfig/named.rpmnew is from '06  ;-)

# diff /etc/sysconfig/named /etc/sysconfig/named.rpmnew
0a1,2
> # BIND named process options
> # ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1a4
> #
3c6,7
< #                            you must set up the chroot environment before
---
> #                            you must set up the chroot environment
> #                            (install the bind-chroot package) before
5,6c9,29
< # OPTIONS="whatever" -- These additional options will be passed to named
< #                       at startup. Don't add -t here, use ROOTDIR instead.
---
> #
> # OPTIONS="whatever"     --  These additional options will be passed to named
> #                            at startup. Don't add -t here, use ROOTDIR instead.
> #
> # ENABLE_ZONE_WRITE=yes  --  If SELinux is disabled, then allow named to write
> #                            its zone files and create files in its $ROOTDIR/var/named
> #                            directory, necessary for DDNS and slave zone transfers.
> #                            Slave zones should reside in the $ROOTDIR/var/named/slaves
> #                            directory, in which case you would not need to enable zone
> #                            writes. If SELinux is enabled, you must use only the
> #                            'named_write_master_zones' variable to enable zone writes.
> #
> # ENABLE_SDB=yes         --  This enables use of 'named_sdb', which has support
> #                      --  for the ldap, pgsql and dir zone database backends
> #                      --  compiled in, to be used instead of named.
> #
> # DISABLE_NAMED_DBUS=[1y]--  If NetworkManager is enabled in any runlevel, then
> #                          the initscript will by default enable named's D-BUS
> #                          support with the named -D option. This setting disables
> #                          this behavior.
> #

So there is a bug...
But it will not matter for all

--