Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 28 23:59:46 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>> Or run an OS that respects its users enough to include the vendor's
>> drivers - which is what the majority do.
>>

> ?

Including binary only for some aspects of support where there is no
working open source solution would allow less computer savvy individuals
to install Linux. It would give excuse to more vendors to keep their
source code and specs for hardware closed though.

Including binary only packages related to programs used to be part of
RHL installs back during RHL 5.2 with realaudio and WordPerfect trial
editions. There are no binary only packages now which I know of for Fedora.

Regarding "other OSes" respecting their users. I found many
installations for XP that I did which left the network card not
recognized and the video card at 16 colors and 800 x 600. For Linux
installations using the same hardware, the installations all recognized
the video, sound and Ethernet cards without the need to pull in the
drivers from external and post installation sources.

The vendors that do not provide open source drivers should include media
with Linux capable drivers provided. My hardware lot "just works" with
Fedora but not with XP without post-install configuration and luck.

Jim

--
You will hear good news from one you thought unfriendly to you.