I love IP Tables....

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue May 29 15:51:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 04:39:52 -0700,
  jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Good anti-virus protection, regular updates, and good malware protection
> for malicious scripts are all important for all operating systems. AV
> for Linux is pretty much lacking. However, something I've picked up sort

Antivirus software is a broken concept. Instead of trying to list every
possible bad program, you should be providing a list of good programs.
The only real use case for AV on Linux systems is filtering data that they
provide to other systems.

In addition properly designed software can mitigate a lot of cases of tricking
people into running trojans. Most important on this part is that viewers should
not be running foreign code. Document macro features, javascript and the
like are problems.

When intentially running foreign software you should be able to add privileges
that the software needs rather having it default to the same access you have.
SELinux is moving things in this direction, but there is a lot of work to
do yet. Some day strict policy will be the default and there will be a user
friendly way to deal with executable code that doesn't come with Fedora.